Bolton District Latest News
The Travels of the Gavel
The “Gavel That Travels” was successfully claim by Kitchener Lodge No 3788 by WBro John Yates, WM. 9 members of Kitchener Lodge were in attendance at the Centenary meeting of Boltonians Lodge No 3716 and in accordance with the rules, WBro John Yates gave greetings at the 3rd rising, then proceeded to make the claim, which was acknowledged by the WM of Boltonians Lodge, verified by the JW and duly handed over to the safe keeping of Kitchener Lodge
On Monday 24th March 2014, Boltonian Lodge celebrated 100 Years. The present members owe a deep sense of gratitude to the Founders, who, in 1914 had the far sightedness to create a Lodge based on Love, Peace and Harmony which still holds firm to this day.
A provincial deputation lead by the RW Bro Sir David Trippier, Provincial Grand Master were in attendance to this momentous occasion. A short history of the lodge was read by WBro Llwyd Thomas PProvDepGReg after which the WM and lodge were presented with a Centenary Warrant. Following this, the Provincial Grand Chaplain WBro the Rev’d David Halford, PAGChap attended to an Oration for the lodge to mark the achievement and reaching this special milestone
A Brief history of the lodge:
Boltonian Lodge No 3716 was consecrated on the 18th March, 1914 in the Parish Church Schools, Silverwell Street, Bolton by the then Deputy Provincial Grand Master, WBro J. B. Goulburn, P.G.D. Also present were four members of United Grand Lodge, 44 members of Provincial Grand Lodge and one hundred and nine members of Craft Lodges.
The Lodge was formed from the success achieved by the members of St. Georges Lodge, No 1723, formed in 1877, when after 27 years of existence, the members sponsored a daughter Lodge. Twenty four of those members became the founder members of the new Boltonian Lodge, 3716, the name having been agreed upon hoping it would characterise the founders, all being Bolton born or residents of the town. This has now extended a little, most being from Bolton and other parts of Lancashire to other countries, including five Brethren from the Philippines.
The founders included, WBro The Right Hon. The Earl of Derby, The Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master, WBro J. B .Goulburn PGD, Deputy Provincial Grand Master, and the officers of Lodge No 1723, including the Worshipful Master, Senior and Junior Wardens, Senior and Junior Deacons, Inner Guard and six Past Masters.
During the consecration ceremony the Provincial Grand Chaplain, Bro. Rev. Canon Chapman remarked, “Masonry, being built on a strong foundation, we trust time and age may never cause decay”. After the dedicatory prayer, the Lodge was consecrated with corn, wine, oil, salt and incense and the Worshipful Master designate, WBro Frederick James Witter was installed in the chair of King Solomon.
A wonderful night was celebrated by the lodge members and guests, filling both the lodge room and festive board with 107 people in attendance.
Congratulations to Boltonian Lodge, may you continue for many more years to come
In addition to the centenary celebrations, WBro Llwyd Thomas PProvDepGReg was promoted to PProvGSwdB by the RW PGM for all his dedication to the lodge and the craft.
The Travels of the Gavel
I am delighted to report that Boltonian Lodge No. 3716 was successful in claiming ‘The Gavel That Travels’ on Friday night.
The following Brethren visited Old Boltonians Lodge No. 5814 at Bolton School - Llwyd Thomas, Gordon Hartley, Stephen Holcroft, Lee Gridley, Lee Bannister, Ron Gridley, Salvador Tiangson, Kim Villacampa, Peter Faulkner, all confidently led by our Junior Warden Bro Craig Charnock.
In accordance with the rules, Craig gave greetings at the 3rd Rising, then proceeded to make the claim, which was acknowledged by the WM of Old Boltonians Lodge Bro Anthony Smith, and duly handed over to the safe keeping of Boltonian Lodge No. 3716.
We all incidentally enjoyed an excellent presentation by WBro Mike Williams on the ‘History of Hewlett Court’ from the days of Walshaw Hall to Hewlett Court as it is now, most interesting and enlightening.
Boltonian Lodge No. 3716 will now display the Gavel at our Centenary Celebration on Monday the 24th March when the PGM Sir David Trippier and a Provincial Deputation will be in attendance – we wonder, will another Bolton Lodge lay claim to the gavel on that evening?
It was a fun night with good company, a new experience for some newer members of Boltonian Lodge in visiting, but importantly it also enhanced Old Boltonians Lodge meeting by the numbers of visitors attending – the essence behind The Gavel That Travels
Thanks to all who participated.
Boltonian Lodge Secretary & District Chairman
PS - Interested in attending our Centenary Celebrations – call me on 0770 919 4646 or email email@example.com
WBro Ken Tyler who is an honorary member of Earl Ellesmere Lodge No 678 celebrated 65 years in the craft on Wednesday 5th March at Farnworth Masonic Hall.
Ken joined Freemasonry in 1948, however his masonic career started from the age of 7 when he helped his uncle set up the masonic room at the Rawson Arms Hotel on Peel Street in Farnworth. During his early years, when helping his uncle he happened to be present at the preparations for a very important meeting. Tuesday the tenth of November 1931 saw the birth of Farnworth lodge No 5301. A lodge that Ken would play a large role in until its sad closure in 2013. On that evening Ken sat in the masters chair and banged the gavel down, declaring to his uncle that he would be master of this new lodge one day. If only he knew his importance in the future of freemasonry in Farnworth.
Before officially joining Freemasonry, Whilst Ken was away serving his country in the Navy, another Tyler family masonic milestone occurred. When in 1944, the year that saw the D Day landings, the first V2 rockets hitting the UK and, even worse!, the introduction of pay as you earn income tax, his father Bro. J.C. Tyler was Installed as Worshipful Master of Farnworth lodge.
Finally, after his membership papers had followed him half way around the globe, Kenneth Tyler was initiated into Farnworth lodge in 1948. Later that same year Ken took to office as a steward and he has never been out of office in the 65 years that he has been in Freemasonry. In addition, during these 65 years, he has only ever missed 2 meetings which must be a record on both counts.
In 1963 Ken was installed as Worshipful Master of Farnworth lodge for the first time, some 32 years after helping his uncle set up the room and he achieved a goal that he has set out from being a young boy.
In 1981 Ken oversaw the 50th anniversary of Farnworth Lodge. The members celebrated this great achievement with the enthusiasm it deserved. A special Cup was made to celebrate the occasion of the Golden Jubilee and distributed to members.
In November 1994 WBro. K. Tyler was Installed as Worshipful Master for the second time. And in November 2005 for a third time and he remained master for 2 terms until November 2007. He took his final office in Farnworth Lodge as it’s last master in 2012, at which time he had been an officer in the lodge every year without a break since he was made a steward in 1949.
The APGM WBro Norman Cope presented WBro Tyler with a special certificate to celebrate this occasion that very few brethren would every reach and looked at the importance that WBro Tyler has played in Freemasonry in Farnworth but also with regards to the Fellowship that he started which is something that is in place all over England.
WBro Peter Faulkner also presented WBro Tyler with a 65th Pin Badge (but WBro Tyler already had one) and he was paraded round the lodge by WBro Cope to the acclaim of all present.
A remarkable achievement and milestone has been reached and WBro Ken Tyler is already making preparations for his 70th Celebrations in Freemasonry. Ken is an outstanding person, with a truly remarkable personality and the evening was enjoyed by all the Brethren present as well as their friends and family.
We look forward to celebrating Ken’s future achievements in Freemasonry and I am sure the lodge members of Earl Ellesmere will keep Ken working for many more years to come
WBro Ron Eadie PProvAGSuptWks (Cheshire) of Anchor & Hope Lodge No 37 Celebrates 50 years in Freemasonry.
WBro Ron Eadie joined Freemasonry on 6th February 1964 becoming a member of Wemyss Lodge No 777 in Scotland.
Over the 50 years he has moved around the country due to work but finally settled in Bolton and became a member of Anchor & Hope Lodge. A brief history of the lodges Ron has been a member of are below:
In 1981 he joined Rectitude Lodge 5271 in Sale Cheshire and in 1989 he became master of that lodge.
In 1992 on 11th May he joined Francis Columbine Chapter 5849
Ron joined Haven Mark Lodge on 21st October 1993
He appointed to Provincial Lodge in the craft 5th October 1996 becoming PProvAGsuptwks
In 2000 he was the last Master of Gatley Lodge being in the chair when it closed.
2001 saw Ron join Turton Lodge
He was appointed PProvADC in Mark on 3rd March 2004
In the Royal Arch he was appointed Provincial Grand Steward Acting on the 18th March 2008 and on 12th March 2011 he was promoted to PProvGsoj
Finally in 2009 Ron joined Anchor & Hope Lodge 37 and has fulfilled the role of secretary for 3 years.
The APGM WBro Norman Cope with a district delegation were in attendance to celebrate this milestone and after accepting the gavel from the WM, WBro Cope introduced the delegation to the lodge members
His masonic and personal history were delivered by WBro Bob Collins PProvJGD who gave a great tribute to WBro Eadie on his achievements and also referred to him as Mr Kipling at one stage due to his career in the baking industry.
WBro Eadie was reminded of events that happened in the year he joined Freemasonry by WBro Cope, with references to events, sports and music.
As is tradition a letter from the Provincial Grand Master was read and presented to Ron who was also presented with an illuminated certificate to mark his 50years in the craft. After WBro Peter Faulkner had presented a '50' lapel batch from the District to Ron he was paraded round the Lodge by WBro Andrew Procter ProvAGDC to the acclaim of all present. Ron was also presented with a certificate from his mother Lodge Wemyss 777 to mark this special occasion.
We enjoyed an excellent evening followed by a superb festive board, where WBro Ron Eadie thanked everyone for their support to celebrate his special day
On Saturday 11th January the Old Boltonians Lodge No 5814 held their installation meeting in the splendid setting of the Great Hall at Bolton School when the master elect Bro Anthony Smith was installed in the chair of King Solomon by the outgoing Master, WBro Geoffrey Bent. In attendance was the RW PGM, Sir David Trippier, and a provincial delegation that included the APGM, the APGP and the District Chairman. They, along with over 120 masons, enjoyed an excellent and sincere ceremony conducted by WBro Bent and the Officers of the Lodge. The RW PGM, Sir David Trippier, delivered the address to the brethren and he congratulated the lodge on the excellent ceremony. He also commented that it was one of the best installations he had seen. The social board was held in the Arts Centre where the celebrations continued with the usual toasts and speeches. An excellent time was had by all.
L-R: The PGM, Sir David Trippier; Bro Anthony Smith, Master; WBro Geoffrey Bent, IPM and WBro Norman Cope, APGM
The inscription on the Lodge Banner, 'Non Nobis Solum' was the same as used on the crest of the old Worsley Urban District Council and the local secondary modern school.
WBro Hubert Lancaster suggested the name Menturia for the Lodge. Interestingly, there is only one other Menturia Lodge and that is in Stoke on Trent. WBro Lancaster was our eighth W.M. in November 1951. His brother, Bro Leslie Lancaster, became Worshipful Master of the other Menturia Lodge a month later and the feat of two Bros Lancaster being WM of the only two Menturia Lodges in the world is recorded in the annals of the United Grand Lodge of England.
The name is derived from the name Mentur, who was the adviser to Telemachus, the son of Ulysses. Men means to think and the ur means light and from this we arrive at the phrase “to think of the light that is masonry”
There is a Latin inscription across the bottom of the Lodge banner “Non nobis solum” which means “not for ourselves alone”.
The consecration of the Lodge was held on Monday, 26th February, 1945 in this hall. We had 2 W.Ms that year. WBro Crossley was in the chair at the consecration and he kindly donated the W.Ms chain and the pendant (he also extended the chain in 1964.)
At the Installation in November Ernest Brooking was installed as WM (He was the father of Gordon Brooking). Ernest was a prominent member of this Lodge; he introduced the explanation of the Grand Lodge Certificate and the Tyler’s Toast. In December 1946 he was appointed the Provincial Grand Treasurer. He was also DC in the early 50s.
The Lodge subs were £4.20 and 3s.6d. for a meal – the equivalent of 17½p.
In 1948, the brass Charity Plate, was presented by a Lodge member – Bro John Baker, who owned a brass foundry.
The banner, first Loving Cup, the Bible and the blue cushion it sits on, were presented to the Lodge by Bro Jack Ainsworth, a wealthy wastepaper merchant on the occasion of the 100th meeting of the Lodge.
The second Loving Cup was presented on the lodge’s 40th anniversary meeting by Mrs. Kathleen Butterworth, in memory of her husband WBro Alan Butterworth, who was the brother-in-law of Gordon Brooking.
WBro. Stanley Lomas founded the Fellowship at Farnworth in 1975. This concept was adopted by local masonry in general.
WBro Ron Vickers was, for many years, the Chairman of the Hall Management Committee and many of the improvements to the Hall, such as the bar and the clubroom, took place under his guidance.
In 1972, the WMs chain of office was nearly lost in London, when WBro Gordon Brooking attended a meeting as our Festival Rep. He had left his regalia and the chain in the boot of his car which was towed away from its parking space to the car pound and it was only recovered a few hours later with the payment of £26, a lot of money at that time!
Between 1949 and 1954, we had 3 double 2nd degree ceremonies with 2 W.Ms in each meeting followed by the TB
We had our first double initiation, Peter and Philip Entwistle, in 1960, the only one in the history of the Lodge. Peter was my proposer into masonry.
Worshipful Master, a great friend of yours, WBro Ray Parry was initiated into this Lodge in 1963 and on this occasion, Jimmy Armfield, who was the then England Football Captain, was a visitor. The same year Ray passed to his 2nd Degree and Nat Lofthouse was a visitor.
In 1985, W.Bro. Jim Pollitt made and presented to the Lodge the Lectern for the Secretary’s table.
In the 1990s we had the rare phenomenon of W.Bros. Paul McEvoy and Jeffery Collier giving the charge at the end of their respective father’s initiations.
In 1991 WBro. Jack Sutton celebrated 50 years in masonry and was promoted to PProvSGW.
In November 1994, I was installed as WM. and WBro Jack Sutton presented his Founder’s Jewel, with the ribbon attached, to the Lodge to use as a collaret. During my year of office, in March 1995, we celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the Lodge, when a deputation, led by WBro Derek Walsh, promoted WBro Gordon Brooking to PProvJGW
A short while ago we were in the enviable position of having 5 organists, Len Higginbottom (long serving Almoner), Len’s personal organ was donated to the Lodge when he passed away. It is in the main lodge room. Keith Longworth, who was our D.C. for 16 years and served continuously for 34 years on the floor in different capacities, Don Mack, Cliff Ridings and our current organist, Geoff Whalley.
In November 2011, Ernie Stephenson, known to everyone as Steve was the only Bro., in our Lodge, who was promoted to Provincial rank without going through the WMs chair! Sadly Steve passed away before he could receive his honours and Our District Chairman, WBro Peter Faulkner came and presented his certificate to the Lodge.
Brethren, looking back to 1978, the Lodge showed its willingness to overlook practically anything when we initiated a middle –aged, phototelegraphist, who supported Blackburn Rovers, namely our W.M.Frank Hulme. Frank became W.M. for the first time in 1989, he distinguished himself as ADC and later as D.C.
I should like to take this opportunity to thank, on behalf of the Brethren, our two adjoining members, WBros. Jim Hulme and Eric Spinks also WBros. Paul McEvoy and Cyril Heaton for taking over offices at short notice.
We are told nothing about the hard work that many members, who are not named, have put into making the Lodge so successful over the years or of the friendship and fellowship we have all enjoyed at our meetings.
To complete this brief history, I would like to remember WBro Raymond Marks who was our hardworking Secretary, who started the ball rolling towards our Amalgamation with Goulburn Lodge. Thanks should be given to WBro Arnold Slaney for all his secretarial work especially in bringing the Amalgamation to fruition.
If you have any new stories you would like to see published here, please contact
WBro Ritesh Mehta, District Communications Officer for Bolton District.