Home Page of the Provincial Grand Lodge of East Lancashire

DWP Benefit Rates


New rates for benefits (including pensions) for 2011–2012 The rates include an increase in the state pension and benefits for people who are of working age. The Basic State Pension will increase by £4.50 to £102.15. Pensioners on a low income will benefit because most people who receive Pension Credit will get a £4.75 increase in guarantee credit. Cold Weather payments will be permanently increased from £8.50 to £25.

The majority of working age benefits will increase by 3.1 per cent. The new benefit rates will apply from the April 2012. For full details of new benefit rates, follow the link below.

DWP Benefit Rates 2012

For help available towards heating costs click below:

Heating Costs

For help towards Council Tax benefits click below:

Council Tax Benefit


Other Money, Tax and Benefits

The tables below list a range of benefits, starting with a Beginners Guide, Disability Benefits and then Support for Carers. The links on the left of the table should take you directly to the Government website that explains these benefits in more detail: What the benefits are for, eligibility criteria, how to apply online, how much you can get and so on. It is strongly recommended that you, as the Almoner, browses these sites to gain an awareness of what may be available for your brethren and their dependants. If you click on the relevant link the page will open in a new tab or browser window depending on how your browser is configured.




How to find out if you qualify for benefits


Work out if you're able to get any State Benefit assistance particularly if you are sick, have a low income or dependent children


How to claim benefit


Find out which department you need to contact in order to claim a benefit - and how to do it


Understanding the benefits system

An overview of the benefits system, including how payments are made and how to make a claim


Changes that affect your benefit

Make sure you are always getting what you are entitled to - know what changes affect your benefits


How benefits and pensions are paid


Information about Direct Payment and how benefits and pensions are paid directly into a bank or building society account


What to do if your benefit is overpaid


Benefit overpayments - why you might be paid too much benefit, whether you'll have to pay it back and how you'll repay it



The difference between Direct Payment and 'direct payments'



How Direct Payment of benefits and pensions is different from 'direct payment' by social services to enable you to buy the help you need


How to appeal against a benefits decision


Appealing against benefits decisions including Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit and Child Benefit


Applying for a National Insurance number


How to get a National Insurance number, when you'll need one, and what to do if you don't receive it or forget or lose it


Claiming benefits in Europe

Claiming benefits, tax credits or other financial support abroad in the European Economic Area and other countries that have social security arrangements with the UK





Disability Living Allowance

Basic information about claiming Disability Living Allowance tax-free to pay for help if you or your child is disabled or terminally ill

Attendance Allowance

Basic information about claiming Attendance Allowance if you're aged 65 or over, ill or disabled and need help with personal care

Employment and Support Allowance

Information about Employment and Support Allowance, which replaced Incapacity Benefit for new customers from 27 October 2008

Direct payments for care and services

Direct payments to buy in help instead of using your local council's social services if you're disabled or care for a disabled child or adult

Incapacity Benefit

Basic information about claiming Incapacity Benefit if you're under State Pension age and can't work because of illness or disability

Benefits if you are ill or disabled - changes you need to know about

Advice about changes to your benefit if you receive Incapacity Benefit or Income Support paid because of illness or disability

Constant Attendance Allowance

Basic information about claiming Constant Attendance Allowance money if you're disabled and getting Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or a War Disablement Pension

Disabled Students' Allowances (disabled people section)

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) provide help for students who have extra costs while studying, because of their disability

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (diseases and deafness)

Basic information about claiming Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (diseases and deafness) if you're ill or disabled because of disease or deafness caused by work

Information about applying for a Community Care Grant if you're claiming certain benefits and for example need money to adapt your home for your disability

Basic information about getting Disabled Facilities Grants to help pay for adapting your home by installing a ramp, stair lift or other improvements

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents)

Basic information about claiming Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents) if you're ill or disabled because of a work-related accident

The Independent Living Fund

Help with personal and domestic care costs if you are severely disabled

Blue Badge parking scheme (disabled people section)

Basic information about getting on the Blue Badge parking scheme to help you park closer to your destination if you're a disabled driver or passenger

Medical costs for war pensioners

Basic information about getting a War Disablement Pension to help pay medical costs if you're injured or disabled serving in HM Armed Forces during war

War Disablement Pension

Basic information about claiming War Disablement Pension if you've been injured or disabled during war or from serving in HM Armed Forces

Vaccine Damage Payment

Basic information about claiming £120,000 Vaccine Damage Payment tax-free if your severe disability is caused by vaccination against certain diseases

Severe Disablement Allowance

Information about claiming before April 2001 if you'd been unable to work for at least 28 weeks in a row because of illness or disability





Learn about the range of financial support available to carers, including Carers Credit which helps protect your state pension.

Main sites are listed on the Right of the table and links to the most helpful pages are shown on the Left of the table.



Caring and support services


Carer's Allowance

Guide to financial support for carers

Direct payments for carers

More about money matters

Money matters


Health and social care professionals you may meet

Early Support Programme - co-ordinated support for young disabled children

Childcare for a disabled child

More about caring for a disabled child


Caring for a disabled child


Choosing a care home

Paying your care home fees

Care homes and benefits

Temporary stays in a care home


Care homes


Caring for someone while working

Leaving work to care for someone

Returning to work

Advice and support for carers preparing for work


Carers and employment


Looking after yourself as a carer

Time off from caring

Carers and learning


Health and taking a break


An overview of carers' rights

The Carers (Equal Opportunities) Act


Carers' rights